The Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has invited Expression of Interest (EoI) for Partnering with BHEL (Pre-bid Tie Up) on Design, Development, Manufacture, Supply, Testing & Commissioning of 152 sets of Electrics with 3 Phase AC Propulsion System for Kolkata Metro.
- This Expression of Interest (EOI) seeks response from Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs) who have past experience in designing and manufacturing of Propulsion System inclusive of TCMS for Metro application.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) is a Central Public Sector Enterprise, wherein Government of India is holding 63.06% of its equity. It is an integrated power plant equipment manufacturer and one of the largest engineering and manufacturing companies of its kind in India having a turnover of about USD 5 billion.
- The company is engaged in the design, engineering, manufacture, construction, testing, commissioning and servicing of a wide range of products and services for the core sectors of the economy, viz. Power, Transmission, Industry, Transportation, Renewable Energy, Oil & Gas and Defence with over 180 product offerings to meet the needs of these sectors.
- Since its inception in 1964, BHEL has been the solid bedrock of evolution of India’s Heavy Electrical Equipment industry.
- The high level of quality & reliability of BHEL products is a testimony to its adherence to international standards by acquiring and adapting some of the best technologies from leading companies in the world including General Electric, Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. etc., together with technologies developed in its own R&D centres. BHEL invests more than 2.5% of turnover on R&D and innovation.
- BHEL has been designing and manufacturing rolling stock for rail and urban transportation. BHEL has also been manufacturing Motors, Power electronics and Controllers for various transportation applications at its various factories. BHEL also has a Battery Packaging facility for space applications.
- In the transportation sector, BHEL is into the manufacture of complete electric and diesel electric locomotives and electrical assemblies/components including traction motors, traction transformers, power & auxiliary converters and controls, gear wheels etc.
- At Jhansi plant, they manufacture complete Electric Locomotives upto 6000 HP rating for mainline application of Indian Railways, Diesel Electric Locomotives from 350 HP to 3100 HP rating. Till date, they have supplied more than 370 nos. of main line electric locomotives Indian Railways and more than 250 nos. of diesel electric locomotives for shunting operations to different industries.
- They are currently executing an order for manufacture of a complete Electric Locomotive of 6000 HP. Their Jhansi plant has an installed capacity of 75 nos. locomotives per year.
- At Jhansi, they have complete state-of-the-art facilities for manufacturing, fabrication and testing of bogies, loco shells, under frames and other mechanical components of locomotives. They have recently developed India’s first state-of-the-art WAG7 Electric Locomotive with regenerative capabilities.
- They have also developed India’s first Traction Motor for 9000 HP Electric Locomotives.
- At Bhopal and Bengaluru plants, among electrical propulsion equipment, they manufacture and supply traction motors, traction transformers, power converters (IGBT/GTO) & controls, auxiliary converters (IGBT/GTO) and vehicle control units for electric locomotives, diesel electric locomotives, EMUs, DEMUs & and metros trains of Indian Railways.
- Their manufacturing range includes conventional DC drive, IGBT based 3-Phase drive equipment upto 6000 HP rating. BHEL has also been in the forefront of providing maintenance and spares/replacement support to Indian Railways for their locomotive fleet. They have a full-fledged service department located at major centers in the country.
- Indian Railways (IR) has invited bids for Design, Development, Manufacture, Supply, Testing & Commissioning of Electrics With 3-Phase AC Propulsion System for Kolkata Metro as Per RDSO Specification No. RDSO/PE/SPEC/EMU/0182 (Rev-1) 2015 with ICF Annexure-ICF/KM/0182-01(Rev.00).
- The intent of this Expression of Interest hereinafter referred to as the “EOI” is to invite applications from interested organizations / companies who are willing to Partner for Pre-bid Tie up with BHEL to supply the following for the above mentioned project:
- BHEL through this Expression of Interest intends to associate with a pre-bid partner for Design, Development, Manufacture, Supply, Testing & Commissioning of 3-Phase AC Propulsion System for Kolkata Metro.
- Indian Railways has issued tenders for a total 38 rakes (152 sets). Under the current EOI, Minimum 2 Nos. prototype rakes (CBU) shall be sourced from the EOI Pre Bid partner.
- Balance order quantity from Indian Railways (Split order less 2 Nos. prototype rakes as finalized by Indian Railways) shall be manufactured at BHEL Electronics Division Bengaluru.
- EOI pre bid partner shall provide all necessary design/ manufacturing/ testing/ installation/ commissioning documentation and requisite support along with associated software.
- The scope of partnership between BHEL and Pre-Bid Partner are as below:
|S.No||Item||Description||IR Total Tendered Quantity (38 Rakes/ 152 sets)|
||Design, development, manufacture, testing and commissioning of Converters. Detailed scope to be finalised in partnership agreement.||Type tested Complete Build Unit (CBU) prototype quantity – 2 rakes.
||36 rakes or Split order quantity as finalized by IR minus 2 rakes CBU.|
|2||Train Control and Management System (TCMS) including Brake Systems Solutions Maximum 1216 panels for 152 sets (38 Rakes).||Design, development, testing and commissioning of TCMS Hardware, software and interface of propulsion systems. Detailed scope to be finalised in partnership agreement.||Type tested Complete Build Unit (CBU) prototype quantity-2 rakes Tentative No of panels 64 Nos for 2 rakes.||36 rakes or Split order quantity as finalized by IR minus 2 rakes CBU.|
Refer Price Schedule Appendix to Annexure 4 for list of items to be considered by bidder. Spare quantity shall be additional to above and shall be quoted in accordance with price schedule.
- The pre bid partner to be selected through this EOI shall be in accordance with following:
- The pre-bid partner shall provide due support to BHEL for fulfilling the contract obligations to the end customer (Indian Railways).
- Pre bid partner shall be select based on following:
- Compliance to Pre-Qualification Criteria (PQC).
- Compliance to EOI specification requirements.
- Compliance to RDSO & ICF technical requirements mentioned elsewhere in this EOI.
- Lowest (L1) bidder as per Annexure 4 (Evaluation criteria).
- Pre-bid partner shall enter into a mutually exclusive agreement with BHEL.
- Pre-bid partner cannot quote directly or enter into any kind of joint arrangement with any other party for the above mentioned Kolkata Metro tender.
In case any amendment/ corrigendum is issued to this EoI, it shall be notified only at http://www.bhel.com.
Source: BHEL-Tender | Image Credit (representational): Metro Railway, Kolkata